Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Creative Writing Course – Day 3 – Coming home and being stuck together

The first assignment today was to imagine yourself as a boat or a car or a plane that is coming back from a long journey and having a first glimpse of home.

If home is a place where you lived the most – then I’v
e forgotten mine, so many cities passed me. If home is a place where you were created – then I abandoned it a long time ago. If home is a place where you feel the best – then mind is everywhere the air takes me.

Tonight it lies somewhere underneath, wrapped in the darkness and asleep, unaware of me coming closer. Through the trifle layers of clouds and moisture, and wind, and wet I plunge myself to take a fist glimpse of my homeland. It looks like a set of Christmas lights or a giant radioactive spider with millions of eyes, stretched as far as the land goes. I take a dive and slowly it grows bigger, and opens its net for me.

Second assignment – Two people stuck together (whatever you can make of it)

My first thoughts took me to people lost on a deserted island or tied up somewhere by a gang of kidnappers or even something ridiculous and funny – like this picture.
But then I just remembered how children always get stuck in the most inappropriate and stupid places (iron fences, behind washing machines, between armchairs and walls etc.) and went for it.

- You let go!
- No, you let go!
-
I’m holding you, idiot! Let go of the tree!
-
I can’t…I’m scared.
-
You are scared of spiders, not of height.
-
Well, maybe there are spiders down there…
-
Jonathan. I’m telling you last time – let go of the damn tree!
-
But I need to get the cat! He’s up there. I won’t go without him.
-
The cat is home already. He got down on the other side. Now, let go of that stupid branch.
-
You won’t catch me!
-
I will, I’m holding you by the legs and there’s nowhere to fall here anyway.
-
No, you won’t. I’m too heavy…
-
You are twelve years old. You are not heavy. Let go!
-
I am… I had a cake at grandma’s today.
-
Oh, for God’s sake, Jonathan! The whole neighborhood is watching!
-
No, they are not. It’s just Ms. Caroll and she’s blind as a bat.
-
If you don’t come down now I’ll leave you hanging there for dinner!
-
Oi, what’s for dinner?
-
I don’t know! Will you stop and come down?!
-
You promise not to make me eat broccoli?
-
Jonathan!
-
Promise?
-
Yes.
-
And I can have ice cream for dessert?
-
I thought somebody had a cake today?
-
Ah …I see a spider down there…
-
Fine. Ice cream. Come down.
-
Chocolate?
-
Yes. Come down now!
-
Ok. Catch me!


Notes on fairy tales:

-
Fairy tales are metaphorical. A forest is about growth and change, for example. They always have important key events like birth, marriage, christening that define the characters.

-
Villains usually have a personal relationship with the protagonist apart from the obvious confrontation. There must be smth. similar between them, as well as smth. personal that makes them oppose each other so much.

Notes on writing action:

- Play with expectation.
-
Do less character development.
-
There should be a premise and an obstacle that prevents your character from getting what they want.
-
Give the audience a wrong line, make them believe in smth and then take it away.





3 comments:

  1. Wonderful writing, blog, and I love the title! I'm following sister.
    machelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Machelle :) Will try to write more!

    ReplyDelete